It's interesting. For the first time in my life, being Asian does not equal being in the majority. Growing up in the Bay Area then going to college at UCLA, I have always been surrounded by other Asians. Now I am somewhat unique. Despite that fact, more people in Europe have conversed with me in Chinese than on a day to day basis in America. Just off the top of my head:
1. After landing in Geneva and waiting for my baggage, a random woman asks me in Chinese where I am going and we proceed to have a short conversation.
2. While walking around Grenoble, a beggar woman says "ni hao" to us.
3. While hiking in the mountains, this random guy stops to ask us where we are from. We are talking in English when he suddenly mentions, in Chinese, that he is a Chinese teacher ... in France and do we speak Chinese.
4. At the kebab place,the worker attempts to speak Chinese (note he is not Asian). He can say "ni hao" and "shieh shieh" and "tzi jian". He also flirts with Asian girls.
5. At the University while waiting in line to get my food card, a girl comes up to me and immediately asks me, in Chinese, about how to get the card.
6. After class one day, an Asian girl comes up to me and starts talking in Chinese, until I politely mention that I actually didn't come from China, instead America.
For the first time, people are assuming my native language is Chinese. It's funny to me, but other Asians can tell as soon as I start speaking that I do not come from China, although I can usually adequately respond in Chinese. But it is still weird that people will randomly say "ni hao" to me and they always assume I understand.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment